Wednesday 15 November 2017

Old Tech = Useless Tech???


During my recent post about computers I wanted to own when I was younger, I spent a modicum of time on e-Bay, searching for those bits of old kit and seeing how much they were going for. As well as being a bit of an eye opener, it also dropped a couple of old pieces of tech that, whilst they fell out of the purview of that post, were interesting when they were released and might still have a use today. Since the prices weren't silly, I ended up buying two pieces of portable tech that I think still have a use. Today, I'm stalking about the AlphaSmart 3000.

The AlphaSmart 3000 was part of a range of battery powered word processors released by NEO Direct Inc. and the range was on sale from 1993 (the original AlphaSmart) until 2013 when the Neo model was discontinued. There were several models throughout the years but the one I bought appeared around the middle of the lines existence in 2000 and was discontinued in 2006.
Includes carry case, quick start sheet and manual
The 3000 I bought is in good condition and cost £40. I have seen them for a tad less but the condition, case and accessories made the price quite decent anyway.
Remember the Bondi Blue iMac? This was inspired by that due to the inclusion of USB connectivity.
The monochrome display shows four lines of text, the memory holds eight files of approximately 12.5 pages of text and connectivity is either by a USB port or 8-pin serial.
USB to the left, Serial to the right...
Power is provided by three AA batteries which have a life of around 700 hours(!). As a practical guide, I have had the AlphaSmart for two months and the first set of cells are still going strong. Whilst it would be nice to have a backlit display, I can certainly understand why one isn't present and with the use intended, it isn't needed. This also helps battery life.
The screen is very clear, but not backlit.
As designed, the AlphaSmart was meant for children in a classroom environment. The light, compact design and plastic case make it easily portable and quite durable. The keyboard is a tad on  the small side for an adult but still very useable, indeed, most of this was typed on the 3000 and transferred over to a Chromebook for posting and images. The keys are a bit clacky and lightweight but they do have a decent amount of travel and I have used far worse in my time.

Operation is simple, the functions keys are pretty straight forward and there is even a cheat sheet of key commands on the back of the device.
Handy help guide on the base of the device
Whilst earlier models used infra-red to transfer files, and later devices had memory card slots, it was either USB or serial port for this one and as a cable wasn't included with mine, I did wonder how I would transfer text over. I needn't have worried. You see, the USB port is of the kind found on most printers so that solved the cable issues. As for compatibility issues, not a bother. Once plugged into my desktop, the 3000 detected the connection and asked me if I wanted to send a file over (file 1 by default but you can change that with a couple of key presses). I opened Google Docs in a browser window and hit the Send key on the 3000. Within a few seconds, the test had appeared line by line in the document. It was that easy. Talk about user friendly. Incidentally, once connected, the AlphaSmart goes into keyboard mode and you can use it as a regular keyboard. Just watch out for the swap between " and @. That caught me out the first time.

So what do I use it for? Well, it's a text entry device, so typing on the go. The 3000 has been to Amsterdam twice and proved a boon each time. Okay, it's not as compact as a laptop and it's a one purpose device, but what more do I need? The battery life is not an issue, the storage is more than enough and the keyboard is far more comfortable to use than my Chromebook. It does for me very nicely.

That it's not sold today is a reflection of changes to the market. Ever since cheap (under £200) laptops became available, educational buyers have flocked to the more versatile option. That this plays to the big businesses like Google and Microsoft misses the point of having such devices. If all you want is text entry for classroom and homework use, then additional features just get in the way, but since the big corporations want you to use more of their features, of course they are going to up-sell. 

Is there still a market for text entry devices like this in the age of cheap Windows/Chromebook laptops? Well, kinda. You see, if you want a no frills portable electronic typewriter, you are limited to the second hand AlphaSmart market or the Astrohaus Freewrite. This started as a crowd funded electronic typewriter called the Hemmingwrite, based on the practice Hemmingway used to write on the fly and not edit. The Freewrite is a far bigger device but with a proper Cherry-switched keyboard and an e-ink display. The battery life is far shorter and whilst you can connect via USB, they promote cloud services to send the files you create to your service of choice. It only holds three files but storage is much larger than the 3000. To be honest, it looks okay, the major problem being the price: £383 as of the last time I checked. That is a serious wodge of cash and for a one task only device, that is not justifiable to me. Yes, it gives you distraction free writing that a traditional laptop doesn't but at a price. Plus, its portability is suspect. 

For me, and maybe others, since the AlphaSmarts on e-Bay always sell, these devices are certainly useful today and prove that just because the tech is old doesn't mean to say it no longer has a use. Yeah, it's a niche use, but compared to the Chromebook I have used for the last four years, the 3000 is much better at text entry and will continue to be used for as long as it lasts. After that, maybe another trip to e-Bay.











6 comments:

  1. What I find fascinating here is the definition of old. I have Whiskies older than that by a mile and wines and even shoes. I think I have at least one overcoat older than the year 2000.
    The Tekkie world does seem to run on a different time frame from the real world but then all tech is supposed to be instantly disposable so the tekkie drones will simply buy a newer shinier one with more buttons in different colours.
    And to think I learned to write with a pen and an ink well.... which would actually still work on real paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, they seem to have that angle covered too...
    https://remarkable.com/
    But I do understand what you mean and that is the way of consumerism and capitalism. Mind you, Games Designer Dudes do the same thing, one edition after another and GW have been existing off that plan for many a year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Capitalism would die without the constant rebirth of repetitive tat for the mob but in louder colours and a different box. Couple that with what Michael Parkinson called "intellectual downgrade" of todays society- he was referring specifically to song lyricists but it works here too and whaddaya got like well like todays excuse for society which of course as every Thatcherite knows there is no such thing as like innit.

      Delete
  3. ....each to their own - and I remember my Mum having a similar device - but in such a situation as you describe (simple text entry) I would just use my blue tooth keyboard and my phone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and there was supposed to be a question mark on the end of that to show I wasn't being a complete know-all.. :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried that solution in the past, but it was a bugger when on a bus, given a rally champion for a driver and the state of the roads, having a separate keyboard was a challenge! But as you say, each to their own. 🙂

      Delete