Friday 13 September 2019

Border Reiver 2019

Border Reiver was the first war games show I ever attended. Indeed, for many years, I had attended that show and many others around the country as part of a crew and not as a member of the general public. A move to Gateshead International Stadium several years ago was quite welcome (a shorter distance to carry the gear) but a few years back saw the show drop off my radar. Having some time off last weekend meant a trip to the most recent show was on the cards so, on Saturday morning, my good lady and I ventured into deepest, darkest Gateshead to see what Border Reiver 2019 could offer. Oh, and this was her first trip to a wargames show!
As you can see, there was lots of space.
So, first up, it's in a Sport's Hall. This means sodium lighting and hard floors. I have seen quite a few blog posts and commentators actively detest venues with such qualities through the years but let's be honest here. How many other venues have space and access for both traders and the public? Some old shows (Scarborough, for one, and the Partizan's when they were at Kelham Hall - a horrid building for access, despite the so-called "atmosphere", whatever that means) offered something different but in reality, any trade based show with a display/demo element requires space and access, and sports halls/dedicated showground facilities are the best compromise. It is generally true that the trade stands pay for the venue so there should be some give and take on both sides of the venue discussion. In any case, a couple of hours in a Sports Hall for a show is not going to be the end of the world for any member of the public.
But there were people there.
Anyway, back to Gateshead and the door charge of £3.00 was very reasonable especially when you consider the rather nice 28mm metal figure of a March Warden to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the show. Dues paid, we were quickly into the thick of it. Except, it was quite thin.
Now it wasn't the fault of the organisers that Colours had changed their show date this year to match Border Reiver and, for some traders, a choice had to be made. Unfortunately, the north-east show missed out. Some traders did, however, have the ability to attend both shows and that has to be congratulated. True, there were some rather large gaps in the hall and that could not be hidden but I was pleasantly surprised as to the names who had made it. I must also add that whilst it was pretty obvious some of the traders could only just manage a small selection of stock as their main stand was at Colours, I don't think there are many in the industry who could do a double header and it demonstrates how small (and almost cottage like) the hobby actually is. Sadly for me, there were no book stalls so whilst my heart dropped, my bank balance did not.
A small section of the lovely Napoleonic game
That brings me on to the next topic - spending at the show. I admit to not spending a farthing outside of the door charge. Why? Because there was nothing there that caught my eye and I will not buy for the sake of buying. I realise that does contradict previous posts on wargames shows about spending to support traders and the show itself - traders need to make money to continue attending - but I just couldn't see anything I needed. Is that the traders fault? No. Neither is it the show organiser's fault. It's just the way things were.

There was quite a busy Bring and Buy/Flea Stall/Games Workshop graveyard (delete as applicable) which was worth a perusal, just to see how much GW stock makes it onto such stalls, but the games put on for the show took up most of my interest. There was a strategic level Barbarossa game that I'd seen at other shows that  looked rather nice, a long, narrow 28mm Napoleonic game that had a ton of figures and really looked fantastic, and a couple of Wings of Glory games that mildly caught the interest of my good lady. The demo game that really caught my eye, and purely for eye candy, was of a piratical theme with a fantasy twist, packed with lovely little details and displayed with an irreverent sense of humour. Not to everyone's taste, I grant you, but very well done and the effort was plain to see. It also helped that the gentleman who had put the game on was very willing to talk about it and his approach to his hobby. Not something that can be said for many demo games/gamers at quite a few shows I have been to.




Pirate Demo game
So, Border Reiver 2019 - the 25th Anniversary. A good show? The clash with Colours was outside of its control and certainly hurt the number of traders and the breadth of stock for some of those who did attend. As for punters, well, we rocked up around 11-ish and there were enough people around to describe the footfall as brisk, but not packed. Even the lighting didn't seem as orange or harsh as memory recalls. It would be more than a tad harsh to judge the show from this visit alone. I was curious to see how the show had changed (if at all) after several years of non-attendance and I think the fairest thing I can say is that the jury is still out. As to whether we will attend next year, well, that's a question to be answered closer to the time. Certainly there were things that my good lady found of interest, even as a non-wargamer, so it is definitely a case of wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the traders. Shame Colours had changed their date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And that’s why it would be very harsh to judge the show based on that. Hopefully next year, there will be different dates for each show so traders can attend both.

      Delete