Saturday 20 August 2022

Reload Magazine - Kickstarter Preview

Apologies for the brief lull in posts. A temperamental disc in my lower back decided that it wasn't happy so it initiated the Bagpuss Principle (it wasn't happy so it decided the rest of me wouldn't be happy either), putting me out of action and unable to sit at a computer or even use a laptop. As someone who has posted regularly and has articles to submit for publication, this turned out to be a bit of a bugger. Fortunately, a way has been found to handle the situation whilst my back decides if it want's to have a civil relationship with the rest of me. I am still able to write using pen and paper, and my good lady has taken on typing and layout duties for the time being. Thank you ever so kindly! With that solution in place, I'd like to draw your attention to a Kickstarter that I found out about a couple weeks ago.


You may remember E1M1 magazine from a year or so ago which focused on that evergreen genre, the first person shooter. Well, Zach Murphy (co-creator and designer of E1M1) has created a new publication and is being aided by John Kavanagh (of Retro Format and Eight Bit magazines) in launching Reload Magazine. Since I enjoyed E1M1 and indeed enjoy the FPS genre itself, I thought I'd tell you lot about Reload too.

The initial Kickstarter is to fund and publish a 100-page mag that will focus on indie and AA-tier shooters, the mods and maps scene, as well as more bespoke pieces such as retrospectives and features on historical games. The Kickstarter is live until the 31st of August and has already hit its primary funding goal. There are stretch goals too.


If this sounds like your thing, you can check out the Kickstarter here. As part of the funding drive, a sampler has been created (available from the KS page) that will give you an idea of the style and content you'll get in the main issue. It also lists the contributors, some of whom may be familiar. From the sampler alone, this is looking good to me and I have pledged to the project. 

As always with Kickstarters, be aware of the nature of the fund raising platform but also understand that the people involved have a good track record in delivering their projects. 

Anyhoo, that's it for this weekend. Good lady permitting, there will be further posts next week to catch up on the backlog of reviews. As you may understand, I have had plenty of time to catch up on my reading recently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment