Friday 2 July 2021

The Computers That Made Britain - Book Review

The Computers That Made Britain is the work of Tim Danton, current editor-in-chief of PC Pro, the last surviving member of the UK's once titanic trio of monthly computer magazines (Personal Computer World and Computer Shopper have sadly departed this mortal coil). In this tome, Danton details a curated list of 19 home computers that defined what it was to be a personal computer user in the 1980's. 


Published by Raspberry Pi Press, this is a no-frills book. The quality of the cover and binding is high but the stock used is straightforward paper - the only pictures in the book are those of each machine preceding its entry. This is not a criticism. It not only keeps the price to a very reasonable amount (£12 including postage direct from Raspberry Pi Publishing) but it also defines the purpose of the book. This was written to tell the tales behind each of these computers, not act as a gallery of old hardware. If you want that, I heartily recommend finding a copy of Gordon Laing's Digital Retro, one of which I bought shortly after its 2004 release.

Each machine gets a well researched and very readable entry (the order of which is determined by its review publication date in Personal Computer World) detailing the background to the machine's creation, the story of its development and a history of how it fared once it hit the streets. Also included is a section on what came next, highlighting follow-on models in byte-sized snippets. Sources consulted for each entry are also included, ranging from interviews with key figures to articles from numerous contemporary newspaper and magazines. It is here that the sheer depth of research becomes apparent and is a reminder of the huge range of computing publications that existed during that time. At the back of the book, the author has also included a handy bibliography and pointers to online resources for magazines, newspapers and videos.


What did surprise me when reading this book was how many of the machines listed I have actually used or owned (though not necessarily at the time they were released). At some point in the last thirty five plus years, I have had the Spectrum ZX81, Commodore VIC-20, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC464, Commodore Amiga and Acorn Archimedes. I have also used, to varying degrees, a Research Machines 380Z (it was sitting unloved in a corner of one of the computer rooms at Tanfield Comp and Mr Butynski very kindly allowed me to play around with it from time to time), BBC Micro (schooled at a certain age), Apple Macintosh (OK, it was an SE, but still 1980's), Atari ST, Amstrad PCW8256 and an Acorn Archimedes (A410 to begin with in the school library, then A3000's - it gets a mention again as they were awesome machines and I am still a fan of RISC OS now). Twelve out of nineteen ain't bad, and I am not counting the PC as I have never used an original IBM 5150 - the earliest PC system I got to use was a Goldstar 286 in the very early 90's, though Derwentside College used a number of Amstrad PC1512HD's in their science labs.


It's true to say that nostalgia does skew your memories. Whilst I understand that from a purely logical point of view early computers might not have been as "user-friendly" as their modern day equivalents (though that is a subject of debate), it is my humble opinion that modern computing is far less interesting. This book reminds me of what it was like back then, with a heavy dose of nostalgia of course, but also makes me lament as to how staid the general mainstream computing scene can be these days. It must be repeated, however, that this is purely my humble opinion.   

Anyhoo, The Computers That Made Britain is a wonderful introduction to the wild and wonderful state of computing and the industry itself forty years ago. Well written and highly informative, this should be on every computer fan's bookshelf. Hopefully, it will be successful enough to warrant a second volume where some of the eighty-odd other computers not selected by the Twitter poll that picked the 19 included here will get their chance in the sun.

You can buy the book direct from Raspberry Pi Press here and follow the author on Twitter here.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Andrew. I had already bought 5 copies, (I start Christmas shopping early and my friends are geek-inclined, unsurprisingly), so I am even more reassured that I made the correct choice.

    I am also surprised how many I owned/used. The Archimedes being one of the notable exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the review, and I would say, in my humble opinion, you certainly have made the correct choice :-)
      I still use RISC OS today on a Rasp Pi, it's a fun OS to tinker with.

      Delete
  2. Likewise, I have 3 RPIs doing various tasks and really must get more into understanding programming on them. I wrote a lot of code for the Atari 1040 ST (with a soldered upgrade to 2.5MB RAM and a 20GB hard drive. Those were the days!). I essentially stopped programming at the point that Visual Basic was launched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of VB. I keep looking at Amiga and Atari hardware but space (and, to be honest, some of the prices) stop me before I spend any money. Although having read about the PCW, I'm kinda tempted to source one of those. It's an addiction, I know :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Atari was a great machine and things like Protext were excellent (though not WYSIWYG) applications.
    I never used an Amiga.
    I tried VB but life moved in another direction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I have learned about the ST, the more I like the range. The TT is, for me, one of the best looking computers of the period. I've covered a couple of Atari books in previous reviews:

      https://tantobieinternettattler.blogspot.com/2021/01/50-st-games-you-have-to-play-book-review.html

      https://tantobieinternettattler.blogspot.com/2020/12/we-love-atari-book-review.html

      Delete